Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Safari (Kooky Zoo) Lion Variations

The last few days I've become fascinated with all the variations of the Safari (Kooky Zoo) Lion variations.  The whole thing started when I realized my collection included only four of the variations, 1) purple face/purple mane/purple ears, 2) red crystal, 3) clear crystal, and 4) tan face (known as "David W" for David Welch).  These four are common and shown in the first row (leftmost four) of the collage below.

Tonight I spent some time creating this collage from the photos available at the excellent PezBase site.  Click on the picture to enlarge it so you can fully enjoy all the details in the variations.


The first five in the top row starting from the left are common, but the rest are harder to find.  The opaque red variation (top row, 3rd from right) is known as "Novartis" and MoMoPez has some good quality photos of it.  Novartis is a pharmaceutical company headquartered in Basel, Switzerland.

Although the collage shows 32 variations, PezBase lists a total of 55 variations (no photos for 23 of them).  The main variations:  
  • Face (clear crystal, light purple opaque, or red cystal)
  • Mane (brown opaque, dark purple opaque, or red crystal)
  • Ears (tan opaque, light purple opaque, or red crystal)
Below is a better photo of one of the red crystal face/purple mane variations.  It recently sold on eBay for $22.50 from Austria. You can see the contrast between crystal and opaque ears, which I really like.


Some other good photos of Safari (Kooky Zoo) lion variations are at the Pastor Pez blog (my favorite PEZ blog) and at ChristianPez (excellent collection site).

I'm gonna keep searching and hopefully I can add a few more of these lion variations to my collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment