Sunday, September 22, 2013

Two Lane Road Prototype for Trucks

Today after buying the new set of 3 Walgreens trucks I worked on a little PEZ project I've had in my head for a couple weeks.  With all the advertising trucks lately, I was thinking it'd be cool to display them on a two lane road with staggered trucks.

Below are photos of the prototype I came up with with.  My daughter had some black construction paper, which I used for the road.  The dashed line I created by cutting up an extra name badge label sticker I had.

The paper was 12" x 9", so I kept the 12" length and cut the road 3" wide which seemed to fit two trucks side-by-side pretty realistically.

The dashed line was a bit more work.  I wanted it to scale properly with the trucks, so I did a little research on the internet.  Apparently, the standard length of highway dashed lines is 10 feet with 30 feet in between dashes.    The length sure seems a lot shorter when we're speeding along the highway, huh?!  The standard dashed line width is about 6 inches.

To scale them I then needed the standard length of a big rig cab with trailer and the length of a PEZ truck.  The typical length of cab with trailer is 70-80 feet and PEZ trucks are about 4 ¼ inches.  Armed with all these numbers I broke out the calculator and figured the dashed lines to be 5/8 inches long, 1/16 inch wide, with 1 and 7/8 inches between each.

Overall, I think the prototype came out pretty well.  Of course, the elephant in the room is that most collectors have dozens of trucks and this only supports three.  What can I say, except the design is expandable. ;-)

Please let me know what you think in the comments section below and thanks for reading!








2 comments:

  1. This is the first time i read your blog and I have to say that I love it!
    I got here through the Pez list when you posted about this two lane project.

    Can you explain a little more? are they hanging on a wall or did you place them on a flat display?
    If they are hanged, how do they stick to it?

    Fasterpez
    http://fasterpez.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like my blog, thanks!

      Right now the protoype display is very simple and is just placed on a flat surface. My goal is to upgrade the design so that multiple road segments can be joined and hung on the wall. Once I get that completed I'll create a new post with photos.

      Delete